>From message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  :
> ive downloaded the source and unpacked them already, almost ready to
>recompile.  may i know how/where do I add this removed compile time flag
>thats needed to enable this logging ?
>chad

from su.c:
/* su for GNU.  Run a shell with substitute user and group IDs.
   Copyright (C) 92, 93, 94, 95, 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

etc

   Compile-time options:
   -DSYSLOG_SUCCESS     Log successful su's (by default, to root) with syslog.
   -DSYSLOG_FAILURE     Log failed su's (by default, to root) with syslog.

   -DSYSLOG_NON_ROOT    Log all su's, not just those to root (UID 0).
   Never logs attempted su's to nonexistent accounts.
*/

After you run ./configre from the shellutils-1...  directory, cd to src and edit
the makefile there.  Go to the sule to make su (it starts with su: ) and
edit the command below to add whatever flags you want.  ie

   gcc blah blah

becomes

  gcc -DSTUFF blah blah

then run 'make su' in the src directory.
then tune 'strip su'
then cp the su program somewhere, and chmod it to 4555

Carl