I'm sending this to both debian-laptop and debian-user.  No one on
debian-laptop has been able to help me with this, but other folks
there might be interested in solutions if anyone on debian-user has
one.

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-838 running Slink, but with a custom-built
2.2.1 kernel.  I don't have sound working properly yet.  I've tried
everything I can think of.  I'd welcome any suggestions.

A RedHat user with the same hardware writes
"Sound works fine (sb.o module)".

When I load the sb module, I hear the speakers click, and get this
message:

  ESS1688: Invalid IRQ 5
  ESS1688: Invalid IRQ 5
  sb: Interrupt test on IRQ5 failed - Probable IRQ conflict
  <ESS ES1887 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.1)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5

Sometimes, when I try to play something, I just hear soft static.
Other times, I hear the correct audio, but it's rushed.  It doesn't
wait for it to finish playing what it's got before proceeding to the
next chunk.  Meanwhile, it prints this message about once every 0.8
seconds until I stop playing the audio:

  Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I know the irq, dma, io, etc are all set properly, because I can see
(and change) them from the BIOS setup screen at boot time.

I've tried switching everything (BIOS and sb module) to a different
IRQ (7, 9, 11) but got the same results.

I have this in /etc/conf.modules:
options sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

and have also tried
options sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330 esstype=1688

I've also tried building OSS and SB support into the kernel, but
it didn't help.

Someone recommended using alsa modules.  I'm not sure what they are,
but I poked around with alsa-modules_0.2.0-pre8-3.deb.  There were no
modules in there, so I grabbed the alsadriver source and debian patch
(alsadriver_0.2.0-pre8-3), and followed the build directions, but it
failed to build.  I haven't pursued it further.