> The only time i can recall seeing those errors is when the cwd is moved or
> removed. Just now, i created a dir 'test', cd-ed to it as root, removed it
> from another tty, and su-ed to a normal user. Sure enough, there's the
> error. Even if it's removed and remade from the other tty before su-ing,
> it still gives the error.

You get these errors (sometimes) when suing to a normal user from another
normal user, eg:

/home/jim has permission 700 (drwx------) and I'm in /home/jim (and I AM jim
;) I do 'su bob', enter the correct password, and I get those messages.
Which makes sense, because I don't (and shouldn't) have access to jim's
stuff.

Rob.