On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Thorsten Manegold wrote:

> I have the slink version of libesd0 and esound installed, but their
> version is not sufficient.
> The debs from the unstable branch seem to be linked to libc2.1...

Ah! i didn't stop to think of that...

Since you already have esound compiled from source, you may just want to
grab the potato sources and recompile them against glibc 2.0.

> Also I have esound (0.2.8 I think) compieled from source in
> /usr/local but it seems like it's not found there...

Latest in potato is 0.2.10 if you feel like updating.
/debian/dists/potato/main/source/sound/

An advantage of compiling with the Debian diffs is that it'll generate a
deb you can install.

In order to compile from Debian sources, you'll need the dpgk-dev package,
and the -dev packages for whatever libraries are required. You also need
the orig sources, the diffs, and the dsc from your Debian mirror.

[directions paraphrased from a README from the pine sources packages]
dpkg-source -x foo_v-d.dsc will then unpack the source and automatically
apply the patches. Then, cd to the "foo" directory and execute
debian/rules binary. .deb files will be created for you, which you can
then install with dpkg.

> Yes, but the deb-package for the  beta1.1 version is linked to libc
> 2.1 which does not work with slink.
>
> Ho can I have configure find essound in /usr/local ...

You can use thes options when you invoke ./configure
  --with-esd-prefix=PFX         Prefix where ESD is installed
  --with-esd-exec-prefix=PFX    Exec prefix where ESD is installed

You could also add the proper path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH