>--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> > I need to write a script to replace '\'s with '/',
>> > but how can I get grep to accept '\' as a regular
>> > expression (it assumes it to be line continue
>> > character, at least from the sh prompt)?

-- stuff about tr and sed --

>> If backslashes will only appear in file paths, you
>> are set.  If they
>> appear in some other contents where they need to be
>> kept, then look at a
>> more sophisticated tool like sed.
>>
>This it true... the '\' also appears in printf's
>IE: fprintf("\t hello \n");

At this point, it might be worth your time to learn a little perl.  I
know that sed and awk are rather powerful, too, but if you're porting a
program, you must be reasonably proficient at programming.

you will find a little time learning perl's regular expressions rather
useful later on, too.

                                        -Michael

I (and many others) can give you a little help with a perl script (less
than 10 lines) that would correctly modify 99% of your backslashes.

  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305