On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 01:25:27PM -0600, David Brode wrote:
> My goal is to get dselect to recognize my cdrom drive so that I can
> install applications.
>
> After booting the OS & logging on as /, I enter dselect. I choose [0.
> Access] and select multicd. The cd is in the drive. System responds:
>
> >I see that /dev/cdrom exists and is a block device. Insert the CD-ROM and
> enter the block device name [/dev/cdrom]:
>
> So I accept the default. System doesn't like that and responds:
>
> >mount: the kernal does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device.
> > (maybe 'insmod driver'?)
> > unable to mount /dev/cdrom on /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt, type iso9660
> >Insert the CD-ROM and enter the block device name [/dev/cdrom]:
>
> And from there I'm stuck. I'm a linux newbie; yesterday was my first
> attempt to install a system. Since I couldn't get the cdrom working,
> I made installation floppies of Debian 2.1 (slink) from the debian.org
> site. Installation went smoothly. I even successfully installed the
> cdrom driver correctly after divining the port address, DMA, and IRQ
> settings from the interface card. When I boot the OS, the boot banner
> says:
>
> > mcd=0x320,9: Mitsumi status, type and version: 10 D 2 Double Speed CD ROM

You should probably use /dev/mcd (or link /dev/cdrom to /dev/mcd).

> and it also says:
> > Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
> > scsi: o hosts
> > scsi: detected total

The default kernel has a module for scsi and the probe fails, since
there are no scsi devices.  Ignore it.

My advice would be to compile your own kernel after you get things
running and configure it only have the features (built-in or module)
that your hardware requires.  This will avoid these types of messages.

> More hardware info: Micron 486DX 100, CD is Mitsumi FX001D. The
> interface card on the CD says CD-ROM Drive 16BIT I/F Card 74-1881A.
> I'm kind of confused about the SCSI failed initialization msg, b/c my
> HD is IDE and seems to work fine. The Mitsumi manual says nothing
> about the interface card being SCSI or IDE. Did I leave out any other
> relevant information? Oh yeah, I'm a Gemini.

Oh.  In that case ignore my advice above. I'm a Capricorn.

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen                 Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]