Matthew Gregan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Has anybody tried installing these packages yet, and had much success?

I succeeded this way:

1. Uninstall all emacs related debian packages which you want to use
   with xemacs21 (e.g. bbdb, apel, ...), they don't seem to work for
   me by now

2. Grab the corresponding packages for the new packaging system from
   ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/ or one of its mirrors  (bbdb, auctex, gnus,
   psgml, ... whatever, there are no standard lisp packages included
   any more)

3. Install the packages according to the Quick Start Guide on the
   Xemacs home page (I made a link from
   /usr/local/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ to
   /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ and installed it there)

Works out of the box here, as you can see from my X-Mailer line in the
header. You can even update the packages online from within Xemacs now
(there is sort of a dependency system); the only thing I don't know
yet is how to install local lisp stuff properly.

Greetings and happy xemaxing,
joachim