The firewall machine appears to be connnected. ppp0 is listed with the IP
and such in the output of ifconfig. However I can't seem to get anything
out from the firewall machine to the rest of the world. I can connect with
all my machines internally on the LAN.

I ran the commands listed in the ipchains HOWTO

# ipchains -P forward DENY
# ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and was still not able to get things working. I wouldn't mind getting a
look at your config file if something in there might be useful in debugging
my outgoing IP problems.

Alec