I haven't had problems with my exim/fetchamil setup, even after moving from
slink to potato. I do remember that I had to edit my fetchmailrc file at some
point though becuase the syntax had changed. If you have an old .fetchmailrc
that is being loaded from some directory for instance because you start
fetchmail with fetchmail -f /some/dir/.fetchmailrc, you may get into trouble
like described.