This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Joakim Svensson" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>

                        Hi debian users,

I am a very new user of Linux. I do have some 10+ year users experience
with different unixes though so It feels pretty good.
I am awaiting a new high spec pc and while waiting I picked up an old
used P75 with 32M and 1G hd. Without almost any knowledge about the
hardware (used borrowed 14" monitor) I installed slink and slack 4.0
without any real problems.
I installed slink from a cd set and it worked pretty well.

So now I have some things I do wonder about.

First. On my new system I plan to set up a pretty much complete slink
       and I also will setup a potato wich I would like to have
       very configured.
       Slink will be no problems I think but I could need some advice
       on what tactics to use when installing potato.

I want to have a system (potato) that ofcourse have all the basic stuff
but I don't want to have 10 different text editors (if I can avoid it) I
really don't want emacs (sorry all emacs users, "vi" rules *smile*)
I don't want all the games etc etc.
So how will I acomplish this ?  Should I install some very very basic
task or profile and then add on using ftp ?
Should I install a somewhat more complete system and then remove
things I don't need and build from that ? Any other ideas ?

Also could anyone update me on the use of dselect versus apt and dpkg ?
I think I read something like "Is anyone really using dselect anymore?"
a while ago and would really like to know the current usability.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/hints/further readings/ etc

Best regards
JS

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive