Quoting Matt Folwell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> I could be totally wrong, but I think...
>
> On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 12:11:52AM +0200, J Horacio MG wrote:
> > I have already pressed by mistake the Alt+ArrowUp key combo, resulting
> > in a system shutdown (losing all work done!).
> >
> > In my /etc/inittab I've got the Ctrl+Alt+End key combo configured for
> > shutdowns:
> >
> > kb:12345:kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now
>
> This line tells init to shutdown whenever it receives a KeyboardSignal
> from the keyboard handler, in runlevels 1-5.
>
> > and some kbrequest for the Alt+ArrowUp which reads:
> >
> > kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab to let this
> > work."
>
> This line doesn't give any runlevels, so it won't have any effect.

That appears not to be the case. I think most slink users will
have chanced upon this message on their VCs, so it was quite a
good key definition to advertise the facility. OTOH if you
use xdm you may be totally unaware of it because Alt-Up may already
be defined to switch desktops in your window manager.

man inittab (slink) admits to being incomplete and its explanation
of runlevels could be improved.

> > which says nothing about shutdown, so, why does Alt+ArrowUp perform a
> > system shutdown?  Can I safely comment the line?
>
> Alt+ArrowUp and Ctrl+Alt+End both send KeyboardSignal to init, so hopefully
> you've got the line
>               alt keycode 103 = KeyboardSignal
> in /etc/kbd/default.map.gz
> If you remove that it should fix it.

Cheers,

--
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151