MAC-based authentication is a joke.  All it takes is for someone to
sniff traffic, then clone your mac(ifconfig ethX hw ether [...]).

The best way IMO to secure a small wireless network is with ipsec.  You
can do this very easily with freeswan and a good ipsec howto.  Just
create a encrypted/authenticated tunnel between your wireless machine
and your router.  On the router, set the policy of the wireless port to
require encryption/auth.

There are ofcourse other options...such as RADIUS...