On 27-Jun-99 Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Is there any way I can allow remote hosts to access my machine via xdmcp
> without running xdm on the machine itself? (running xdm seems to lock
> the machine completely on a regular basis). Would running xdm without
> managing any local displays solve the locking-up problem? Alternatively,
> does anyone have any experience with whether any of the other display
> managers (kdm, wdm, gdm, login.app, ...) solve the problem of locking
> machines up? Do those provide xdmcp?

kdm, wdm, login.app are all based on xdm so if one does not work, they all
should fail.  gdm is a complete fresh start so if anything you have a chance
there.

However xdm should NOT lock your machine.  The greatest benefit would be from
you tracking down the cause of this.  Others may be fighting the same issue.