from gcc -v
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 Debian GNU/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

toupper and tolower throw warnings (or not) depending on optimization.
Compiling the following test program with:
        cc -Wall -ansi -pedantic -c junk.c
will not give any errors.  However, adding -O causes ansi warnings:
        cc -O -Wall -ansi -pedantic -c junk.c

I expect to find these things in my code but not the system.  It's not
terribly important but it is irritating.  I can turn off -ansi and
-pedantic and it goes away but I loose the close checks.  Is this a
known problem?

jim

test prog...
/*
 * test toupper and tolower with -ansi, et.al.
 */

#define _POSIX_SOURCE 1
#include <ctype.h>

int  main (void)