Hi
Thanks again.

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, David Wright wrote:

> Quoting charles kaufman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
  "kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:03"

> I think that may change everything. Allowing for typos, because you
> copied that off the screen, did it really say FAT 12? It looks as
> though it's either misread the partition table (perhaps it got the
> geometry wrong or something) or the kernel lacks some necessary
> functionality to handle the new disk. What does lsmod show when you
> have the disk on /mnt. Is it using a module to get at that disk?
> Could your partitions be misnumbered in some way?
>
> Either way, I think you may need more expert help than I can provide.

Yes it really says FAT 12 (twice). That has seemed strange to me too.
The root device had been set as /dev/hda3;
 the lilo option should have changed that on the fly, as you say,
 but not the swap device. rdev changed them both,
and they are now set to /hda2 and /hda3 in the kernel. But as I said
in my last note it still fails with the same message.
insmod reports nothing.
There are no modules loaded. IDE support is compiled in, I believe,
since it has never needed any insmod 's.

(by the way it was man rdev not man lilo that said rdev isn't needed-
my mistake)

Chuck Kaufman