On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Person, Roderick wrote:

> I was trying to compile the binaries into a .deb.
> There error was : exit error 1

There should be something else leading up to this, which is causing the
error.

> I have come to find that .debs are created from the source most of the time.
> I have been told it is hard to compile binaries into .deb. It can be done
> but everyone is telling me it's easier to go from the source. I guess I'll
> try that.

Oh, okay, I thought that compiling was what you were doing.  Creating
packages from binaries is very easy, if that's what you want to do.
Just create the directory structure you want, and put the files you want
in there something like this:
package_1.0.0-1
package_1.0.0-1/DEBIAN
package_1.0.0-1/DEBIAN/control
package_1.0.0-1/usr
package_1.0.0-1/usr/doc
package_1.0.0-1/usr/doc/package
package_1.0.0-1/usr/doc/package/README
package_1.0.0-1/usr
package_1.0.0-1/usr/bin
package_1.0.0-1/usr/bin/foo
package_1.0.0-1/usr/bin/bar

look here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging.html/ch-binarypkg.html#s-controlfile
too see what to put in the control file.

then just run dpkg-deb -b package_1.0.0-1
and you have yourself a .deb file.

-Brad