On 13-Jul-99 David Mussington wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have just purchased a used AST Ascentia 810N notebook pc.  This system
> doesn't have a cd rom drive, so I am forced to use a PCMCIA-enabled one to
> install Debian.  Could anyone tell me if the Debian 2.0 CD (I just bought
> the official user guide with the cds included) contains the drivers to
> recognize this kind of cd rom drive? I don't have the drive yet either, as I
> am shopping around, but would appreciate any advice/experiences you might
> care to report.

2.0 is not going to help you.  Period.  2.1 is closer.

Here is how it works out.

Make 9 floppies using the cd on another machine.  You likely need the
resc1440tecra.bin image.

Use the floppies to install.

Again on the other machine get the pcmcia-source from potato.  Compile it
against 2.0.36 on a slink box.  Install this on your laptop.

You should now be able to use the cd to finish installing.

2.0 is very very out of date (2 years +).

FYI, there is now a debian-laptop list where you can ask laptop specific
questions.