On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 06:27:33AM -0400, geordie wrote:
> hi
>
> i recently installed slink on a compaq 486 laptop w/ 4 megs ram and a 100
> meg hdd.  dselect downloaded a _few_ packages for me, but during the
> installation process the disk became full.  i tried using dselect to
> remove unwanted packages but it doesn't work beyond the first menu
> anymore.  when i try to get to 'select' it returns "dselect: failed to
> write status record about 'lib-apache-mode-auth-sys' to
> '/var/log/dpkg/status': No space left on device"
>
> this sucks
>
> i've tried w/out success to find the place where all the stuff dselect
> downloaded is stored so i could just remove it and start again.
>
> i'm thinking about reinstalling
>
> any less drastic solutions?

The 'du' command shows how much space a directory uses, and the
'df' command shows the total space used by a partition. Both
of these are in fileutils in 'base', which means that you will
have them installed by the install program.

The APT installation method shoves all sorts of stuff in
/var/cache/apt/archives. All other methods (dpkg-ftp,
dpkg-http, et al) store their stuff somewhere in
/var/lib/dpkg/methods/*.

Personally, I'd reinstall:
1. Go into dselect after you've loaded the base system. Deselect the
emacs* packages in Standard and the tetex* packages, unless you are
_actually_ going to use them. Unless you plan on compiling stuff,
get rid of the stuff in the devel section/. Also, unless you have
a specific need otherwise, dselect pdksh, pdksh-i18n, and tcsh
from the shells section. Ditto with ibritish (or iamerican, if
you are on the other side of the atlantic). Some rough calculations
show that you'll save around 40 MB of disk space if you don't
install this stuff.

2. Manually install packages using 'apt-get install <packagename>'.
Check on your partition size using 'df' every so often, and clean
out /var/cache/apt/archives to free up space.
--
Stephen Pitts
[EMAIL PROTECTED]