I have a new dual-boot Win98SE and an up-to-date slink system with
2.0.36, running on an Abit LX6. Win98 and Linux share a single disk.

If I use LOADLIN, invoked from Win98, to boot the system, then Linux
usually (always?) hangs while booting after starting syslogd but
before klogd:

   Starting system loggers: syslogd     [hangs and does not print "klogd"]

Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, but the disk is accessed every few seconds,
so something (sync process?) is working. There's nothing in the logs on
a subsequent successful boot.

If I run the same LOADLIN script after freshly booting into raw MS-DOS,
this hang does not happen. There are no arguments to LOADLIN other than
the vmlinuz file. This technique used to work just fine on a previous
incarnation of the system on a 486.

The only guess I have is that it might be some kind of PnP problem. But
there's no sign of trouble in the boot messages up to that point.

Thanks for any help,
Dan Halbert