On 22 Jul, Brian Servis wrote:
> *- On 22 Jul, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote about "dselect error message"
>> I originally installed the base debian packages from cd and when
>> everything seemed ok I connected via the apt option to the default serv
>> er (debian.org I think) in order to get Netscape amongst other things.
>> However dselect stops at the install stage telling me that
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/ is full. what should I do?
>>

> Sounds like your /var partition is full.  What does 'df -m /var' say?
> You need to either increase the size of the /var partition or symlink
> /var/cache/apt to another partition with more room.  The later is the
> quick and easy solution.
>
> cd /var/cache
> mv apt /path/to/partition/with/room
> ln -s /path/to/partition/with/room/apt apt

Thanks for the reply.
df -m /var gives me:

"Filesystem         MB-blocks    Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda1                 47      35        9     80%   /"

When I partitioned the drive (a 1.6gb) I only made a small root
partition, a swap partition and a main partition. I don`t mind
re-installing at this stage so would re-partitioning be the better
option and if so what would be adequate partition sizes for the
foreseeable future use of the machine? I`d prefer the better option to
the easier one although please realise that I`m a bit of a newbie so
keep it simple! :-)

Thanks again,without this list I`d have given up ages ago.

Paul