On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Dan Everton wrote:
> On 24 Aug 1999, Jens Ritter wrote:
> > What do you mean by locally and externally? Two cards in different
> > directions?
>
> No interrupts and other cards are not the same. I have an ISA VIBRA16 and
> he has an ISA ESS688, I have an PCI S3 ViRGE, he has a PCI Tseng ET6000, I
> have a Voodoo2, he doesn't. It's not a hardware problem as far as I can tell
> because it only affects external links not local ones.

I don't think, that it is a hardware issue, see below.

> As for what I mean by locally and externally... we both live on campus at
> university and are connected to the residential network. Traffic within
> this network is fine and goes at full speed for my friend. The residential
> network is connected (through a firewall) to the university network.
> Traffic to this network is extremely slow for my friend but normal
> ethernet speeds for me. I hope that clears it up.

Yes, it does. This sounds like a problem with the firewall (at least his
machine does work inside the residential network -> so I guess it is no
problem on his computer). Maybe the firewall is logging activity from the
computer of your friend.

> The other weird aspect of this problem is that transfers made by a machine
> outside the residential network to his machine go at full ethernet speed
> as well. For example, using ftp  on an machine outside the
> residential network to copy a file to his machine goes at about 200kB/s.
> Using ftp to copy a file from his machine to a machine outside the
> residential network goes in ~30kB/s bursts with a few seconds between
> bursts. I get roughly same speed (200kB/s) in both directions. If it helps
> the external machine we're connecting to is a Sun box running SunOS 5.6.
>
> Oh, and before you think it's an ftp problem, this affects all other
> protocols (including ICMP if the bing results are any indication). And
> there's no measurable packet loss.

Is the problem bound to the IP or MAC adress? Did you swap IPs?
Did you connect your computer to his cable (in case a hub or switch is
damaged).

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37