Hi,

I'm recovering from file system corruption. I think, I restored all
packages, but ran into this problem:

I can't log in on console as root. When logging in as a regular user, I get
my usual shell (bash), but the keyboard is not configured for germany. Also,
I can't su to root.

Login in X works as usual: I can log in via xdm as user or root. I can su to
root in an xterm, rxvt... I can use xterm -e su --login successfully.

I tried to remove my root password, logged in on console as root and entered
my old root password as the new one. But after that login in X didn't work
any more, so I restored my old password configuration.

Why do console and X behave differently? Obviously, there is something out
of sync, but what? The system is 99% slink with kernel 2.2.13pre9.

Any help would be welcome,
thanks,
Jens