In linux.debian.user, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Some people just don't have the luxury of working with Unstable. However, much
>of the software released, like Gnome, GIMP, LyX and such *is* stable.
>Enlightenment 0.15.x is quite stable, albeit incomplete. It is no less stable
>than the 0.14.6 that ships on the Slink CDs. So what I'd like to see is a
>collection of upgrades to the current Stable from the Unstable chain, just the
>way its done in the Linux kernel. This will keep everybody happy and will delay
>the obsolescense of Stable. Right now, I wouldn't recommend Slink to anybody.
>It's just too out of date.  I'm only playing around with it because I have
>a need for it in the future.

When I asked a similar question a long time ago (but still when slink
was stable!) it was explained to me thusly:  if you start modifying
"stable", then you might break it.  That means that if one permitted
regular modifications/upgrades to stable packages, one would have to
go through the entire beta-test cycle ON THE ENTIRE RELEASE each time
a package was upgraded.  This is impractical.

The problem, of course, is that potato is taking a very long time to
be released.  (Is it even frozen yet?  I haven't kept track.)  I,
too, am waiting for some of the newer software with metaphorically
bated breath.  So, since you offered to help, the thing you could do
is help test potato and get it released.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum