I am sure that my system is in a bad state.  I installed from an old
hamm CD, then upgraded by apt-get to slink, thence to potato.  For
weeks now I have been living with dozens of messages per day in my
mail box, from Cron Daemon, as follows:

> runq: setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted
> runq: cannot open /var/log/smail/paniclog: Permission denied
> runq: cannot open /var/log/smail/paniclog: Permission denied

I tried changing the permissions on paniclog and its directory, with
no avail.

I found nothing on the recent mailing list archives about paniclog.  I
was running runq as root.

I have just now installed exim instead of smail.

Does this look familiar?

Alan

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A non-viscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one non-existent."            ---Lord Raleigh