sounds like a DNS issue, run a reverse lookup on the IP and see what comes
out. you can also add this line to your /etc/resolv.conf

domain yourdomain.com

that will cause the system to search the local domain when you ping a
hostname. for me if i pinged the host galactica, resolv.conf would
automatically try galactica.firetrail.com

but it looks more to be a DNS thing.  the hostname may not be a valid
(Domain Name) host. that can be checked by trying to resolve the full
host.domain.com. if it resolves the problem is on the client machine(the
/etc/resolv.conf shit)

nate

      Linux System Administrator           http://www.firetrail.com/