On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 01:51:11PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> i am planning on buying a new computer soon, which is supposed to run
> mainly on linux (Debian). The problem is, no sales person seems to know
> what hardware is windows dependent and what not.
> As far as i know the main problem is with modems and video cards.
> How can i recognise one that will work under linux.
> Any recomendations for video and modems?

Usually all external modems are working, avoid absolutely WinModems,
they are not supported at all.

> The only modem they could offer me which is shure to work is US robotics
> which is a bit expensive.
> The video card i was offered (since I static image handling mainly, and
> not video), is ATI xpert 8 meg AGP, How is it for linux?

AFAIK it is well supported, I use an ATI Rage Fury, which is working
well

> Also, should there be any problem with sound cards, if so, how do I
> recognise one that will work.

Avoid SB Live!, the only sound drivers are for 2.0.36, 2.2.5 & 2.2.10,
and are *only* object files from cacative labs.

JHope it will help,
JY

--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 If Machiavelli were a programmer, he'd have worked for AT&T.