Hi all. I am the epitomy of newbie.

I've finally had enough of MS (Multiple Sclorosis)......I'm tired of being
paralyzed. But I need help.

After plenty of review, and a couple disappointing attempts with RedHat,
I've decided to try
Debian. Primary reason being the quality / layout of information readily
available on the web site.
I'm guessing this will roll over to the mailing list as well......

I need to know what are the best (if any) alternatives available on Linux
for applications I use
on a daily basis.....I also need to know a bit more about Debian now that
I've decided to give it
a go......

APPS and GAMES:
-----------------------------
Quake / QuakeWorld  -- I'm guessing that the Linux build for these works on
the Debian distribution....Any pointers? (Debian specific FAQ's)
Q3A
VisualStudio6.0
Word 6.0       -- I've been told that StarOffice is pretty good? (Pros /
Cons please...)
Access
Excel
Photoshop 5.0
LightWave5.5
3DSMax
Director 6.0
Palm Desktop
RioShell 3.0
Adaptec EZ CD4.0

HARDWARE:
---------------------
Abit BP6
Dual Celery 450 (OC's to 504 )
128 PC 100
Seagate (Model?) 4.5GB UDMA33 Drive
3Com 3C905B
Diamond v770 Ultra
Iomega Zip 100
Iomega Jaz 2GB

I plan on running a dual boot at first, with all of my WinNT stuff staying
where it is......Any tips would be
much appreciated!!!!

I'll be posting specific questions once I get started ( CDs are on the way
still from CheapBytes )

Thanks,

-- Erich