"thanhvu" == thanhvunguyen  <thanhthuvu> writes:

    thanhvu> Hello, I just installed Woody from my system (it was
    thanhvu> running SID before), the problem I have is I can't get
    thanhvu> dhcp working. It worked just fine on Sid before.  I used
    thanhvu> the same /etc/resolved.conf /etc/network/interface files.

    thanhvu> The problem seems to be from this line in
    thanhvu> /etc/network/interface

    thanhvu> #iface eth0 inet dhcp

Well, presumably you did not keep the comment character ('#') in that
line. It looks good. I am presuming that 'ifup eth0' and 'ifdown eth0'
do not bring your interface up and down correctly.

Your problem is most likely related to (a) your interface is not up or
(b) you are using the ISC DHCP software (/sbin/dhclient) and your
2.4.x kernel does not have packet filter support.

If (a) is your problem a 'ifconfig eth0' should tell you there is no
such device or your dmesg output should show clearly that your
ethernet device is not working. This maybe because your kernel did not
include the driver in it, or you did not load the module.

If (b) is your problem you could either use the pump DHCP client
('apt-get install pump' and try 'pump eth0' to see if your client
works, and if so then 'apt-get remove dhcp-client'). Alternatively fix
your kernel (use a prebuilt Debian kernel, add 'packet_filter' to
/etc/modules).

Cheers!
Shyamal