Hi,
I've upgraded to the Debian 2.2 (potato) release. The the default gcc
enviroment is based on gcc-2.95 (egcs-1.2). These include the compilers
g++, gobjc, g77, chill and gcj and libraries libstdc++2.9(-dev),
libg++2.8.2(-dev). gcc-2.95 provides the preferred C compiler which is
called `gcc'.
This compiler is not able to compile old kernel 2.0.x releases. So I
added to my standard gcc-2.95 enviroment the following compiler an
librarys:gcc272, libg++272(-dev), g++272
After doing this I tried to configure the 2.0.38 Kernel with the
following option:
make CC=gcc272 CXX=g++272 menuconfig
But I get  an error message witch tells me about some ncurses problem.
This seemed very strange to me because nothing changed from debian
version 2.1 to 2.2 concerning the ncrses librarys.
To avoid the problem with the ncurses library I configured my kernel
with this option:
make CC=gcc272 CXX=g++272 config
After configuring the kernel I tried to compile it with this:
make CC=gcc272 CXX=g++272 dep clean zImage
But the make process stops after several error messages.
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong !
Thanks
                      Chris