on 03 Nov 99, Matthew Gregan wrote...

>On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 05:18:00PM +0000, John wrote:
>
>> Kern.log says the kernel is not compiled for ppp (I've not used any
>> modules).
>>=20
>> My limited experience indicates, therefore, it must have to do with
>> the kernel - but what? I enabled 'networking support' which seems the
>> only relevant option. I've re-run 'make config' (good experience for a
>> new- comer) and found nothing helpful. The other distributions connect
>> without difficulty, so presumably it is not hardware.
>
>You need to enable the options for PPP, either compiled in or as a
>module. If you're using menuconfig, you'll find them under "Networking
>Devices". If you compile it as a module you'll need to load it before
>you try and use PPP.

Thanks, have done so and am now connected. Embarrassingly, I found
documentation relating to this after your help arrived - there's so much
available, I find it overwhelming at times.

>> When I do get ppp working and go for patching, are there any apart
>> from 8 to 12 incl that do not need to be compiled (between 2 and 13
>> that is?).
>
>You don't need to compile any of them as you patch them up, you can if
>you want to test each patch, but otherwise just apply all of the patches
>and then do your compiling.
>
>make oldconfig is useful once you've applied patches, since it'll only
>ask you config questions about new options...

I've obtained patches 2 to 5 but now have a problem in applying them.
My /usr/src had only 'kernel-sources-2.2.1' (and the .tar.gz source which
I'm leaving there for the time being) until I moved 'patch-2.2.xx' from the
download site.

When I do 'zcat patch2.gz | patch -p0' I get:-
------
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:-
| diff -u --recursive --new-file v2.2.1/linux/CREDITS linux/CREDITS
| --- v2.2.1/linux/CREDITS  Thu Jan 28 12:58:02 1999
| +++ linux?CREDITS    Sat Feb 6 12:46:20 1999

File to patch:
------

I discover the quoted lines are the first three text lines of the patch,
and the fourth is I presume machine instructions viz,
      @@-1403,6 +1403,13@@

If I avoid an entry at 'File to patch:', we skip to the next ?machine
instruction and get similar messages.

Can anyone help - I feel I understand what is required generally,
but not specifically. Is it that I don't have a directory called
Linux in /usr/src? (everything I read seems to assume I have)
I don't mind messing-up things and having to reinstall, but it
wouldn't help I'd still not be able to apply patches.

Grateful for any assistance,  Regards,   John.