On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 11:08:34AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 09:57:07AM -0600, Brian Boonstra wrote:

> > Does that mean that gcc normally is NOT Pentium optimized?
>
> No. GCC can optimize for pentiums, by default it compiles for i386 though.
> This is needed so that we don't produce code which wont run on some
> systems that we want to support. All that is need is the proper CFLAGS set
> (which I assume the scripts that replace the normal gcc and g++ merely add
> these manually, and without the need for modifying the build).

Don't expect too much of these pentium-specific options.  The biggest
speedup I have seen for a fractal generator on a PentiumII, was the one
I got with -Os.  This is not pentium-specific at all.  It reduces the
code size, so that it fits better in the processor cache.  It was only
12% faster than the regular -O2 optimization, which everybody uses.
Adding -ffast-math made the program slower (sic), and -march=pentiumpro
did not do anything noticable at all.  I personally don't think you
will note a big difference if you recompile all of debian with
pentium-specific optimization options.  This may change once the intel
optimizations are built into gcc though.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])