On Sat, 06 Nov, 1999 à 07:46:38PM -0500, Salman Ahmed wrote:
>     LP> For your BIOS : simply set your CMOS clock to the GMT time :
>
> I am being a bit daft but do you mean that I should go into my BIOS and
> change the time to whatever the equivalent GMT time is ? There doesn't
> seem to be any option in the BIOS that explicitly sets/specifies GMT
> time. The only option in my system's BIOS related to time is :
>
>  Standard CMOS Setup -> {Date, Time}

Yes, that's it. Why do you worry of not having a BIOS option for GMT ? I
guess that you don't have an option for your TIMEZONE neither do you ? As
far as BIOS is concerned, GMT is a setting as any other of the clock (unless
your BIOS propose an option for DST : I never use it because it causes
problems with any OS sufficiently evolued - anything other than DOS seems to
take care of DST already...)

>     LP> compilation ? You should post here the CONFIG_APM* of your
>     LP> /usr/src/linux/.config
>     LP>
>
> I am using a system with a lot of packages from potato (namely
> glibc-2.1) but there are still a few slink packages still installed on
> my system.
>
> Here are the APM options from my kernel's .config file:
>
> @phoenix:[/usr/tmp/linux] grep APM .config
> CONFIG_APM=y
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y

according to the help you can get during make (|x|menu)config this one
should be disabled unless you have some specific laptop.

> # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set

IMHO you should enable this one not only for power saving but to avoid
overheating of your proc.

> # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set

To me this seems correct but wait for the advices of people using laptop
wich is not my case

>     LP>  Updating CMOS on reboot/shutdown does improve the efficiency of
>     LP> xntp/ntpdate...
>     LP>
>
> But for some reason it causes a lot of time drift on my system. After a
> couple of weeks or so I end up losing > 3 hours or so. This never
> happened to me when I was using RH-5.2 with a 2.2 kernel (with APM
> compiled in).

Have a look in your /etc/adjtime file, the first value of the first line
should be in the neighboroud (spelling ???) of zero (being out of [-30;30]
is unusual). Having here a value of 720 would make you loose 3 hours in 15
days. It has nothing to do with BIOS or APM option...

>     LP> for a (pure) slink system you set this (usage of GMT or local
>     LP> time) in /etc/default/rcS
>
> Here is the relevant setting from my /etc/default/rcS:
>
> # Set GMT="-u" if your system clock is set to GMT, and GMT="" if not.
> GMT=""

Same thing here for slink and hamm. It is coherent with your choices
regarding APM unless potato uses an other way to set this point.

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                  /~\