> Subject: Do ALSA packages work for you?
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:53:42 +0000
> From: "Pedro Sanchez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use the Debian ALSA packages without success at all. I
> have two different servers with different sound cards and the problem is
> basically the same: "/etc/init.d/alsa start" does nothing but saying
> "alsa driver installed" which is not true. In fact, as soon as I try to
> run a sound application I get the error "/dev/audio: no such file or
> directory", even though /dev/audio is a valid file in the system.
>
> I'm following the instructions under <working-dir>/modules/debian from
> the alsa sources and trying to install the thing for AW64, CS4636. Any
> experience with this problem out there?
>
> --
> Pedro

I have installed (manually from .tar.gz) ALSA and it works quite fine...
You should go and see ALSA web site (www.alsa-project.org) : there is
some useful information...
In particular, it's said that you must unmute the devices by using
amixer (ALSA native mixer)

Moreover, if you want ALSA to be compatible with OSS dependent
applications, you will have to load two modules : snd-pcm-oss ans
snd-mixer-oss (check for the exact name...)

jmn