> I would like to try debian but am concerned because if I buy slink my Matrox
> G400 video card will not be supported.

It's not supported by the Xfree that's included in slink, but that can be
easily fixed.

> How hard would it be to install slink then upgrade to the new Xfree without
> setting up Xwindows?

Not hard at all.  I do it all the time.  This is how I do it:

 * Add 'deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ xfree-update main' at the end
   of /etc/apt/sources.list
 * run 'apt-get update'
 * run 'apt-get upgrade'

That'll upgrade the version of Xfree on your computer to 3.3.5.  Just be
aware that the Xserver doesn't support the multi-head and TVout
capabilities of the card.

I strongly recommend that you also add these lines to
/etc/apt/sources.list before you run 'apt-get update':
deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent y2k-update main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable updates

The first is for y2k updates, and the second is for security updates that
haven't yet been merged into the main distribution.

Phil Brutsche                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein