a lot of system programs store their default config file there (lynx comes
to mind) so yes there will be issues. there really isnt a reason i can
think of that making /etc readable by root only would help security all
that much. id suggest making the compiler(s) runable only by root(same for
the libraries the compilers use) make users home dirs on another partition
mounted with at least the noexec option and make sure there is no
directories writable by users(like /tmp) on a partition that is not
mounted with such options.  I also suggest using a patched kernel
(www.openwall.com/linux comes to mind) and install a stackgaurd compiler
so anything that IS compiled has some kind of protection(its not perfect
but better then nothing in most cases -- note dont compile the kernel with
stackgaurd)

*burp*

nate