I've got Debian Linux 2.1 running on an old 386 DX intel
chip system.
I've installed all of the X11 packages that I think I need
from
http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/x11/

starting with xfree86-common, and xserver-common and then
downloading other dependent packages.
Here's everything that I installed:

binutils_2_9_1_0_19a-2.deb
cpp_2_7_2_3-7.deb
gcc_2_7_2_3-7.deb
gcc-docs_2_7_2_3-7.deb
glibc-doc_2_0_7_19981211-6.deb
libc6-dev_2_0_7_19981211-6.deb
make_3_77-4.deb
tcl8_0_8_0_4-2.deb
tcl8_0-dev_8_0_4-2.deb
tk8_0_8_0_4-2.deb
tk8_0-dev_8_0_4-2.deb
twm_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
unzip_5_32-1.deb
xbase-clients_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xdm_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xf86setup_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xfonts-100dpi_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xfonts-75dpi_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xfonts-base_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xfonts-cyrillic_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xfonts-scalable_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xfree86-common_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xfs_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xlib6g_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xlib6g-dev_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xmake_1_05-1.deb
xmanpages_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xserver-common_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xserver-svga_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xserver-vga16_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
xterm_3_3_2_3a-11.deb
zlib1g_1_1_3-2.deb

I have run XFR86Config, but when I type the command:
startx
I get so many error messages that scroll by my screen so
fast that I don't know what all the problems are.
Is there a way to get all of the error message into a file
so that I can make a reasonable attempt at solving my
problem? Or possibly a way to step through the errors so
that I can at least write them down?  Are there any packages
I missed?