Hi,
I am having a problem that makes "dselect" unusable: when I go to the "select" option, it blanks the screen and consumes all cpu but never finishes. I have run "lsof" and found that during this it opens the file "/var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i" and nothing else of note. I have just performed a few (successful) apt-get operations by hand ("apt-get install somepackage" and "apt-get update") and now dselect started acting this way.

- Maybe something in the downloaded package lists confused dselect. Can I somehow purge dselect's package lists so that it works again?

- I can't seem to uninstall dpkg or reinstall it either without risking to seriously break my setup. Is there another front-end besides dselect? Is there a front-end to apt?

I am using debian 2.1 upgraded from the "unstable" section to libc 2.1. Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,
Serge