I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this, as I'm running a stock
sid box.  But I've got a machine with 256Mb ram, but GNOME is bringing
this system to a crawl.  I open up the system monitor, and I see that
the main offenders are X (65 Mb, totally expected), Galeon (40 MB, it
didn't used to be this bad), and gnome-terminal (15 MB for a single
instance! 11MB after I turn off all of the fancy stuff).

So I'm wondering if I've got some binaries that aren't optimized for my
system somehow, or this is just the state of GNOME.  If so, I'm going
to take a serious second look at ditching the whole 'desktop
environment' altogether and go with something like IceWM.

I'm not trolling, I've got a serious issue here.  256 mb should be more
than enough to run all of the junk I want to run without swapping.

Thanks.  for fl in *flames* ; do cat $fl > /dev/null ; done

Stephen W. Juranich                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington            http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli