i have been tryin to get this wroking for 2 hours now, and still cant.

i went to www.3dfxgamers.com and grabbed the latest kernel module, and
mesa driver, and XF86_3DFX driver for XF86 3.3.5 instaleld them all and it
went ok as far as i could tell..manually compiling stuff from source rpms
is a bitch (anyone have debs for this?)  looks like all their binaries are
glibc2.1 based.

after removing all my TNT 3d drivers i fired up quake3 and I can either
get a picture with it going very slow(say ~.5fps) which indicates to me no
hardware rendering is going on, or I can hear it go smooth(no sound
skipping) but no picture _at all_ the window is black.  I am running in
16bit color, and tried it in multiple resolutions, fullscreen mode does
not work either, it tries to switch then ends up back in window'd mode.

as far as quake3 is concerned it appears to load the driver without a
problem:

----- R_Init -----
...setting mode 2: 512 384
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 0.8
XF86DGA Mouse (Version 1.1) initialized
XFree86-VidModeExtension:  Ignored on non-fullscreen/Voodoo
Using 4/4/4 Color bits, 16 depth, 0 stencil display.
GenuineIntel cpu detected.
video memory unprotecting
voodoo 0, wid 512 height 384 hack: usable 0 active 0
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...GL_S3_s3tc not found
...ignoring GL_EXT_texture_env_add
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_VENDOR: Brian Paul
GL_RENDERER: Mesa X11
GL_VERSION: 1.2 Mesa 3.3 beta
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon_offset GL_EXT_vertex_array
GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture3D GL_MESA_window_pos
GL_MESA_resize_buffers GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_rescale_normal
GL_EXT_abgr GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_ARB_multitexture GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_PGI_misc_hints GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
GL_EXT_texture_env_add
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 2048
GL_MAX_ACTIVE_TEXTURES_ARB: 2

PIXELFORMAT: color(16-bits) Z(16-bit) stencil(0-bits)
MODE: 2, 512 x 384 windowed hz:N/A
GAMMA: software w/ 0 overbright bits
CPU:
rendering primitives: single glDrawElements
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
picmip: 1
texture bits: 0
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: disabled
compressed textures: disabled

anyone know what is going wrong?  I bought this card specifically to play
quake3 faster and would like to get it working..geting quake3 working on
my TNT took 15 minutes i cant imagine why this would cause so much
trouble!

thanks ,,

nate