On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 05:11:54AM +0800, Ronald Tin wrote:
> How could I deliver mails to accounts that don't really
> exist? (I can't allocate 100000 uids on a single machine, right?)
> I have only read the FAQ and anatomy for postfix....
> Shall I play with the "mailbox transport" option for
> local delivery, or do I create local users with same uid
> (and disable their login) ? Do the 2nd solution really work?
>
> But still it doesn't seem very efficient to store 100000 files
> in a single mail spool directory?
> > > The MTA won't give you any problems - they typically don't care about the
> > > password database.  However, here's another reason why you don't want to
>
> But the MTA have to lookup the local user from the password
> database.. and mails are stored under owner's uid.
> That's the case for sendmail and exim at least.

qmail can handle an unlimited number of users in an unlimited number of
domains using the likes of vchkpw.  Check out:

http://www.qmail.org

qmail is highly efficient and designed to be secure.  It does have its
quirks though....

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada
A 'box' is something that accomplishes a task -- you feed in input and