I had read some docs which mentioned that on SysV, you can specify a * in
the 7th field of the passwd file (thisis from memory, I may be off) and
that user's login will then be chroot()ed to his home directory.

I was hoping to find a similar functionality in Debian, so I tried the *
in the 7th field and that didn't work.  So then I grabbed the source for
login (shadow package) and grepped the source for chroot.  In
libmisc/sub.c I found it, along with some commentary:

/*
 * subsystem - change to subsystem root
 *
 *      A subsystem login is indicated by the presense of a "*" as
 *      the first character of the login shell.  The given home
 *      directory will be used as the root of a new filesystem which
 *      the user is actually logged into.
 */

So, I tried changing a user's login shell to '*/bin/bash' to no avail.
When I attempt to login, I am asked for the username.. and then I am asked
for the password twice and booted out.

I also tried replacing /bin/login with a re-compiled version from the
(slink) source but the same thing happened.

Anyone know how to get this to work?