I've had two library problems with two separate programs in the last two
days.  I did something stupid like downloaded some unstable .deb
packages, some libraries and installed them on my Slink system.  Some of
the stuff I was messing with was Xlib6 and Xlib6g-dev.  After doing that
I lost most of my 'X' session.  So I figured out how to force a
downgrade and seemingly put things back in order.  Well I saw I had
'jed' installed and thought I'd take a look at it tonight.  Tried to
bring it up and was told it couldn't find a library.  So I decided to
purge it with dpkg and reinstall.  I got output like this:

/home/kent# dpkg --purge jed
(Reading database ... 48289 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing jed ...
Alternative for editor points to /usr/bin/jed - which wasn't found.
Removing from list of alternatives.
Checking available versions of editor, updating links in
/etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Alternative /usr/bin/jed for editor not registered, not removing.
Leaving editor (/usr/bin/editor) pointing to /usr/bin/nvi.
Leaving editor.1.gz (/usr/man/man1/editor.1.gz) pointing to
/usr/man/man1/nvi.1.gz.

I got similar output trying to purge another package.  To make this more
convoluted after I tried to install those unstable libs with dpkg, and
then tried installing .debs, dselect kept trying to install the unstable
libs (even though they no longer existed on my system).  So I did a
'dpkg --clear-avail, and an '--update-avail' and an '--merge-avail' for
contrib off my cd and that stopped.

So anyway I seem to have screwed things up.  Dselect shows jed as
installed but the binary is no longer on my hd but there is still a
bunch of jed files on my computer.  Sorry this is so long.  Anyone know
a fix for this?
Thanks,
kent