Somehow, in trying to fix mutt and exim, I have broken my printing which used
to work beautifully.  I suspect that the trouble arose when trying to follow the
instructions in Linux Gazette #43 even though I don't actually have a network.
Foolishly I did not keep a backup of the files I was altering, so cannot return
to the earlier setup.

When I try cat-ing a file to /dev/lp0 a line (just one) of stuff from the file
plus a little garbage comes out, but this only ever occurs once; repeating the
experiment achieves nothing.
lpq, if I am very quick, shows the file queued, but not for long.
Using lpr (really Lprng and magicfilter) gets no output at all.

My system is vanilla Slink with the supplied kernel 2.0.36.

If anyone can suggest a way of restoring this to its previous printing state,
or point me to the right FM, I shall be most grateful.

TIA,
        Doug.