I just installed slink recently.  My IP address is
assigned through dhcp, but while installing was unsure
how to set dhcp up.  I used the IP address I was
currently assigned and that works for now.  Will the
below work to retrospectively setup dhcp so I won't
have to change my IP address every time my lease
expires?

--- "Jens B. Jorgensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Salman Ahmed wrote:
>
> > I finally got a second box to install Linux on
> today. Unfortunately its
> > not the Compaq Deskpro EN I had hoped for. Its an
> older Digital 5000 PC
> > with the following specs:
> >
> >   PII 233
> >   Adaptec AHA-2940 UW SCSI Adapter
> >   2 Seagate 2Gb SCSI HDs
> >   Matrox Mystique video card (2Mb)
> >   Digital Semiconductor EB143 based 10/100
> "evaluation" ethernet card
> >
> > (1) What Ethernet driver should I select for this
> NIC ? I got the
> > details of the HW from Windows NT which the
> machine already has on
> > it. Not sure if its a PCI or ISA NIC. Has anyone
> heard of this NIC ?
>
> Dunno. Sorry.
>
> > (2) How do I setup the system to use DHCP once the
> ethernet card is
> > setup properly ? I never setup a machine to use
> DHCP but I am assuming
> > that it isn't too tricky.
>
> Just install the dhcpcd package and in your
> /etc/init.d/network put in a line to start
> up this daemon with eth0 as an argument.
>
> > I would like to get the machine up and running
> with slink, and then plan
> > to upgrade it to potato and kernel 2.2.13 once
> networking is configured
> > properly.
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
>
> --