On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 09:47:32AM -0800, aphro wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
>
> alisda >I've no idea what I'm doing wrong here. The HOWTO doesn't help for
> alisda >this case. Should I be using the kernel nfsd instead? Is there a
> alisda >Debian package for knfsd, and is it easy to install?
>
> make sure the user mounting the NFS share has read access to the files on
> the server itself,

Ah. I just tried putting it in /etc/fstab, and doing mount as
alisdair, and it worked :-)

> if its root that is mounting it you may want tot ry the
> no_root_squash option

I get `no such option' if I try that.

The /etc/passwd and /etc/group files are totally different across
the two machines: e.g. the UID for alisdair on letdown is the
UID for knox on skinny. Is there a sensible way of fixing this?
Should I look into NIS?

Thanks for your help,
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[where are all the stupid people from, and how'd they get so dumb?]