hypnos wrote:

> i use sendmail instead of exim, but i suspect your
> warning message says something to the effect that
> it was unable to send your message within 'x' hours,
> but that it will continue to try to send it.  sendmail
> here is configured to send a warning after 8 hrs and
> to continue trying for 5 days.  this sometimes happens
> when people don't use their real email address, or
> their mail server has problems.  i have a message in
> my outgoing queue that's been there about 2 1/2 days,
> because sendmail got an error (to be exact, "reply:
> read error from xxxx.yyyy.com") while trying to
> deliver it.  it'll probably be there until the 5 days
> is up, then it'll be deleted, and i'll got another
> message saying so.

That's pretty much it. I can send mail when I bypass my output
filter though, so it's not my server (ISP). I can fetch mail without
any probs too.

> as a test, you might try sending message to yourself
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and see if you get it back without
> any errors.  if you do get a warning message, it's
> probably a problem with exim.

Same problem. In an earlier post, I listed what I did to narrow it
down. The problem seems to be exim's handling (or lack of) of my
output filter for rewriting the From: header on outbound email. No
matter what I do, I can't get it to work with it. If I comment the
lines in my exim.conf file that refer to the output filter, it
works. The rub is that then my email address is wrong. Grrrr.

Deliver me from netscape mail please!
 ) Mark Wagnon      ) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (