You're both right.  In the "stock" kernels the echo will work and you can
also compile it in so you don't have to do it!  :)

I use the echo thing on a potato system I couldn't really afford to take
down to put a newly compiled kernel in, but that I needed to start
forwarding/routing IP packets for me... long story, but it works.

--
Nate Duehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>