After having crashed my slink-with-a-bit-potato, the following appears on boot:

---
/dev/hda5 contains a fs with errors, check forced.
/dev/hda5: Inode 87941 has illegal block(s).

UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
        (i.e., without -a or -p options)

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note that the root filesystem is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write:
        mount -n -o remount,rw /
---

I have never used fsck before. When giving the command 'fsck' or 'fsck --help', the following is the only response:

---
Parallelizing fsck version 1.12 (9-jul-98)
---

and 'man fsck' failes because the fs is read-only. Only, when I remount it read-write, this apprears:

---
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
---

** what should I do? **

I managed to mount one of my windows disks and copy my home directories. They seem to copy all-right, but I am worried about the error messages: a lot of 'permission denied' (but I am root??), and 'attempts to read beyond end of system (or similar)' fail.

Please Help! This is urgent, for me!

Arnout Engelen