On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 10:42:28PM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote
> Hai,
>
> I started this millenium great, got a second machine, nfs works though slow.
> But now I try to make this second machine into a Xterminal but it refuses:(
> For the life of me I can't find how to get a X-Chooser on the second
> machine, tried all kind of things in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess, but I only get
> xdm's local login screen. Could some kind soul please help me here?
>
> The main machine and planned server is vvs, the Xterminal is called ego.
> On ego I want an xdm login menu that allows me to login on vvs. I thought
> that the following Xaccess-lines should work, but it doesn't
>
> at ego:
> *     CHOOSER BROADCAST
>
> at vvs:
> *

With this configuration you need to be running xdm on both ego and vvs,
but you don't want it to manage the local display on ego; you may also
opt not to have it manage the display on vvs.  Comment out the line in
/etc/X11/Xservers that points to the localhost (display :0) as necessary.

You should then be able to run
 $ X -indirect ego
on ego to display a chooser menu (if ego doesn't have a "*" entry to
allow it to respond, it may fall straight through to an XDM login
window for vvs).

If you don't want ego on the menu, you can add a
* CHOOSER BROADCAST
entry to vvs's Xaccess file and run
 $ X -indirect vvs
instead.  You then don't need XDM on ego at all.

If all you want is a login window for vvs,
you should be able to bypass the chooser and just go
 $ X -query vvs

John P.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]