If you are copying between two unix machines it might be easier to just use
NFS to mount the drives and copy the files over via cpio or something similar.
I think that since samba is based in windos without much in the way of
permissions, all the permissions get lost.

I personally run into problems with samaba when a user will create a dir and I
want to put/remove files into it and have problems.  I then have to telnet
into my linux box and fix the permissions.  Kindof a bummer, but at least the
unix box is visible from windows.

Hope this helps you out.

- Paul